"There is no love sincerer than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman (1903) act 1

Friday, December 21, 2012

How to stir-fry at home (skip the wok - really)


Stir-Fry

The first thing you need to do is throw out every useless bit of info you have read in English language cookbooks about how to stirfry. I spent almost 10 years crippled in my asian cooking adventures by an inability to properly stirfry.  The bottom line is that a western style home oven is simply not intended to be used for stirfry.  Analogously the traditional Chinese kitchen does not have an oven for baking.  How would you explain how to make a traditional dish like a birthday cake to someone that did not have an oven? Traditional Chinese cooking is done over an open fire using a “pit stove”.  The wok sits into a hollow opening and is literally surrounded by fire produced from small pieces of wood.  The result is a high intensity heat which is beyond even the most advanced stoves available on the market.  Western style stoves heat the bottom of the pan; Chinese style stoves heat the whole thing.  Every cookbook I read tried to adapt the stove to the traditional pan (i.e. the Wok).  This doesn’t work and is one reason why home cooks have a hard time reproducing Asian food.  The right way to do thus is to adapt the pan to the stove and the cooking method.   I learned this after many, many failed attempts to do the opposite. 

I finally solved this problem through sheer necessity.  I lived in the country for many years. I had electricity, phone and internet delivered to our home, but no gas.  Some of my neighbours have these giant propane bulbs that they use for their stoves.  To my mind that is like setting a giant stack of dynamite next to you front door (do people really realize gas can ignite?)!    Once every few months a big truck made it's way up my ponderous gravel road, and refilled the tanks with fuel that originated deep in the soil of Alaska or Wyoming or wherever.  This is one of the many places that the local food philosophy is in direct contradiction to gourmet orthodoxy.  My electric power came primarily from the many hydropower dams which choke the Columbia river and its tributaries.  As an environmental scientist, this does give me some real problems, but at least it is pretty local (I can make it to the first dam in around 3 hours) and renewable-ish.  As I have said before however, my cuisine is not a finished product – it is an ongoing process.  So for me, advantage electric.

The second piece of the stir-fry puzzle fell into place when, I, as the ‘grandson that cooks’, inherited the entire cast iron collection from our family farm – I have about a dozen now.  I also have fancy all-clads, Le Creusets, and Chantals, but the ones I use day in and day out are my cast irons, especially the full size skillets.  The last piece of the puzzle is oil – You need a lot of oil - I used to canola oil before I went paleo but now use coconut oil.  I visit friend’s and family's kitchens and see tiny bottles of oil on the shelf.  This will not work if you really want to cook Chinese food.  Stir-fry requires a lot of oil, but what people fail to realize is that much of it won’t be eaten with the dish.  When stir-frying, you should expect to leave a good portion of oil and other liquids at the bottom of the dish.  This is unlike a sauteed dish, and I believe this has been a source of great confusion for many home cooks. 

So, let’s bring this section to a close.  Get yourself a cast iron skillet, turn the heat to high and leave it there, and when it is really hot (I use my finger to test), add a really healthy amount of oil or other fat, wait until it shimmers and form into miniature waves (about 3 seconds if your pan was the right heat to start with), then add your aromatics (ginger, chile, onion, garlic etc) in the order in which you want the flavor to be emphasized.  For example, if making a strirfried lemon chicken, I would start with the lemon peel; if making a spicy shrimp dish, I would start with the chile.  Add ingredients in the order specified in the recipes below.  You will (almost always) be leaving the heat at or near the highest setting for nearly the whole time.  The subtle control of heat you get with a gas stove is totally unnecessary at this point – what you want is a consistent and really hot heat.  If you are constantly fiddling with the heat, I suggest that you step back (maybe after that night’s dinner) and rethink what you are doing, as it is not really necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment